Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Get your evolution on



Everywhere, people are beginning to wake up. I see a little of it every day, even in this armpit of unenlightenedness that is The South.

It gives me so much hope.

I am thankful I have the opportunity to teach my community about small scale, sustainable growing of food. I work for an organic garden center, and volunteer at a community garden in "the ghetto". It may not be much, but it is something.

Even here, where the intestine of the USA terminates and takes a big, poison laden crap into the Ocean, awareness is growing. Although I guess when you have a dead zone the size of a not so little state off your coast, it might be hard to ignore for long. Mother Nature is starting to cry 'uncle' a little louder. With each hurricane that washes ashore more land is lost to the ocean, and a few more people start to wake up. Steps toward sustainability in the South take the form of buying a keg cooler instead of bottle beer since no one recycles here, but at least it is a step.

I still don't think it will be enough, fast enough. I worry about what lies ahead.
Nature always keeps a balance, and we are way past the tipping point.


My goal is to have The Holy Hippie Veggie Van ready to liveaboard by June 1st, the start of hurricane season. Whenever it feels right, I will spin a compass north by northwest and hit the road.

I don't miss the cold, but my heart longs for the Northwest. I want to go back and see all my wild plant friends. I know them so intimately there, because they spoke to me before my schizophrenic downfall into the mold of "culture".

I miss my mom and my brother. I am blessed with a family whose goals and dreams are in line with my own. Maybe together we can find our tribe, and a patch of earth to call home.
Maybe other wanderers who are seeking the same will find us. And just maybe, our Mother will smile upon us even as she removes those who are out of balance and harming her.


"I know we came here to get our good times on/hold the whole world in our hands/and greet the dawn with open arms" -Clutch, Never be Moved.
So get your evolution on!

2 comments:

  1. HEY mom! Its your faithful spawn DeSiReA.
    My blog address is mizikaldisposal.livejournal.com
    Feel free to read away, you might be able to see a tinge of my mind ( lol what little i type onto the keys)
    lol
    I LOVE YOU!

    `dez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey daughter, thanks for visiting my blog. I will check yours out. I have lots to do on the van today, but I'll try to bring you some juice. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete