Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Freedom

The other day I was talking to a friend. She said, "You are so free, I envy you."
I had to laugh.
I'd been reading a few blogs, and thinking, "She is so free, I envy her."
So I guess freedom comes in varying degrees. Or perhaps varying states of mind.
I am more free than many people I know. I no longer have a house. I no longer have any debt. I have no children or spouse to take care of. So yes, I am free.

But my soul yearns for the open road. In my endless pursuit of freedom I bought a van. If I live in a van, then I will truly be free. I will be able to break the cycle of oppression that involves working my ass off to pay for someplace to live and a bunch of crap I don't need.

Naturally everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to live in a van. But after some internet snooping I find out that there are others like me out there. And lots of them are excellent writers! Who knew?

Not only are they excellent writers, they write about the things that matter. The simple beauty of ice, or the moon. The ability to enjoy times with friends, or festivals, or drum circles. The quiet whispers of your soul or the universe that you can only hear when you slow down enough to listen.
And perhaps most importantly to me, right now, how to set up you van so you can live comfortably in it.

This is all very exciting.
It inspires me to try to tell my story, and maybe help others with van dwelling through my mistakes or triumphs. I will write when I can. I don't live in my van yet, so I have to keep quiet enough that the thought police don't kick me out before I have the van ready.
Safe travels y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment